Nearly all people over age 50 have seborrheic keratosis, and the prevalence of the waxy, round or oval shaped wart-like growths tends to increase with age. The growths are not contagious or harmful but can cause discomfort if they catch on clothing or jewelry or are otherwise irritated, so many people prefer to remove them. Fair skinned people with a family history are most likely to develop seborrheic keratosis. Darker-skinned people tend to develop the growths around the eyes. Do not rub, scratch or pick at skin growths; the irritation can cause bleeding, swelling, and even infection. See a dermatologist if a growth quickly appears, grows, or changes; itches or bleeds; or looks dry, flat, rough and scaly.
- Causes: The cause is unknown, though some women develop seborrheic keratosis during pregnancy or after estrogen replacement therapy. Because they are so common in older individuals, they are sometimes called “age spots” or “the barnacles of aging.”
- Symptoms: Seborrheic keratosis are often tan or brown but can range from white to black. They can occur anywhere on the skin, except palms of hands and soles of feet. They are most often found on the head, neck, chest, or back. They may itch. Depending on the size, location, and irritation, these spots may go unnoticed for a long time or they may feel like an urgent skin condition that needs to be dealt with.
- Diagnosis: Seborrheic keratosis can resemble skin cancer, so it’s important that a board-certified dermatologist make an expert diagnosis. Sometimes a biopsy will be done to make certain a growth is not cancerous.
- Removal: Seborrheic keratoses can be removed with liquid nitrogen (cryosurgery) to freeze and destroy them. They can also be removed by scraping or cutting away the growth (curettage) or by electric current (electrosurgery). Some growths can be vaporized with various laser treatments (ablation). Seborrheic keratoses generally do not reappear after removal, but new ones may appear elsewhere.
- Cosmetic Treatment Results: At times skin revealed after removal of seborrheic keratosis remains paler than the surrounding skin, but usually the new skin blends in as total healing occurs. Spots that have been scratched at and/or become infected for a time are at greater risk of discoloration and scarring. At the very least, seborrheic keratosis removal isn’t simply you should try at home. Under the watchful eye and skilled hand of a dermatologist, you can get eliminate skin barnacles and get the best possible cosmetic result.
The top priority with these types of skin spots should always be getting them checked out by a dermatologist to make sure they’re not skin cancer. If new age spots have also served as a kind of makeup call about the effects of aging on your skin, get a consultation with one of our skin specialists about reducing wrinkle lines and other signs of aging.
Zel Skin & Laser Specialists – Plymouth ★★★★★ on Google
5:27pmFelt COvid safe ... always a great experience working with professionals
Dr. Zelickson is thorough and patiently attentive to my concerns. Such a great practice and so easy to deal with. A great emphasis on safety during this pandemic which I really appreciate.
Brian brings a unique combination of medical science, clinical expertise, integrity and compassion to his patients. He provides the latest technology available in the field of dermatology but with a personalized touch for each patient. He is highly respected by his colleagues throughout the country for his expertise and sincerity.
Everyone I have met at Zel is amazing!
It is rare to find a dermatologist who is as knowledgeable about the many facets of clinical and cosmetic dermatology as Dr. Zelickson. Because of his knowledge and honesty, doctors worldwide know they can depend on his assessment of new therapies, procedures and medical devices. This, in turn, has made him a much sought–after speaker for the plethora of professional medical society meetings and engagements that we have throughout the year. I am honored to know Dr. Zelickson and consider him a friend to the profession.
Dr. Brian Zelickson was one of our initial Thermage investigators and helped us understand the mechanisms of non–invasive skin tightening. He is a renowned expert on how collagen can affect skin tightening and wrinkle reduction.
Dr. Brian Zelickson is one of this country’s leading laser experts. Not only is he unparalleled as a laser surgeon, it is not an exaggeration to state that his superb research helps determine the future of dermatologic laser surgery.
Dr. Zelickson is a highly regarded skin/light expert in our industry. When Candela looks for both medical and scientific advice for new laser applications, we often turn to him for his counsel. The input he provides us always starts with patient safety and satisfaction. We feel fortunate to be able to tap into Brian as an independent resource. The patients who are treated with Candela devices are often the beneficiaries of Brian’s input to us.
Most patients prefer seeing a doctor who is known for a particular specialty or procedure, but all patients want to see the doctor who invented the procedure or therapy. Dr. Brian Zelickson is one of the most respected physicians in the field of cosmetic dermatology and aesthetic medicine. He has lectured around the world and is one of the most sought–after speakers for all major meetings in dermatology.
I would rate Dr. Zelickson's clinic 10 stars!
We have felt honored to have Dr. Brian Zelickson, a world–renowned dermatologist who is distinguished as a high–quality care physician, serving as the investigator evaluating Syneron non–invasive skin tightening technology
I trained with Dr. Zelickson at Mayo Clinic, and I found him to be a very bright and creative dermatologist and scientist. Later, he was our best advisor when we set up our clinic in the Basque Country in Spain. I call him the ‘paparazzi of dermatology.’ His contribution to our speciality is probably among the best of this century.
Tuve la suerte de conocer al Dr. Brian Zelickson en Minneapolis hace muchos anos y desde entonces acudo regularmente a compartir sus conocimientos. Es un científico honrado, brillante, creativo e innovador. Nunca deja de sorprenderte agradablemente.
Dr. Zelickson is a very well–respected dermatologist, not only in the U.S., but also in Europe. He is famous for being the author of relevant dermatological studies published in many prestigious medical journals and for the improvements he’s made on minimally invasive cosmetic procedures that are being used by dermatologists all over the world.
Our view from Europe of Dr. Brian Zelickson is that he is one of the leading four or five U.S. laser dermatologists. His research contributions, his superb lectures and his expert knowledge of laser skin surgery make him a valued friend, colleague and guest.
Dr. Brian Zelickson is one of the world’s leaders in cutaneous laser surgery. He has performed groundbreaking research over the past decade, advancing the field as well as expertly providing the most up–to–date laser treatments for his patients.
Brian Zelickson is a world–renowned laser expert who helps develop the lasers and treatment parameters used by the rest of the world. He is where others turn to learn the latest techniques in laser surgery. If you want the best treatment available, delivering the best results in the safest environment available, there is no need to look anywhere else.
I have met many laser experts in my 20 years of teaching, lecturing and running a busy practice. There is no one who I respect more than Brian. If I have a clinical question or research idea, Brian is one of the few individuals I call, as I know I can count on his intellect, integrity and common sense.
Dr. Zelickson is one of America’s most knowledgeable laser experts. He has done pioneering work with many of the laser and light–based technologies developed in the world over the last 10 years. He is a giant in the field.
Dr. Zelickson is one of the world’s leaders in the field of lasers for the treatment of the skin. His many years experience in treating thousands of patients with lasers and other medical devices makes him one of the most sought–after doctors in this field. Innovation and caring are his trademarks.